Monday, September 17, 2007

A Tidbit of History...


This is a small park along the Delaware river about 2 blocks from my home. It has a couple of pavillions, a playground, restrooms and park benches facing the river. It is a nice place to come and relax, let the kids play and you can watch the planes take off and land from the Philadelphia airport. Onto the history.....



On July 5, 1776, Margarett Paul, widow of John Paul & her son Benjamin Weatherby sold 96 acres of Billingsport for 600 pounds of Pennsylvania currency to the council of Safety of Philadelphia. The land was charged to congress making this the first piece of land bought by our federal government. A fort was constructed in 1777 to prevent the British Navy from entering Philadelphia.

For more history of my town http://www.paulsboronj.org/

3 comments:

Judy said...

That is so cool! I love this stuff..Geek I know!

The park is beautiful!If I ever get back to NJ you'll have to take me there...

Nice Post.

Brewton Girl said...

Very interesting! PA has such great history, great state!

AmyWhit said...

The first photo is beautiful with that pretty blue sky and white puffy clouds. Beautiful park!